Perioperative nursing - Specialty Short Course for Professional Development
About the Course
The aim of this 40 hour specialty short course is to provide an educational introduction to perioperative nursing to experienced registered nurses. It also provides newly qualified graduate nurses with introductory educational opportunities specific to the role of the perioperative nurse. It therefore facilitates professional growth and development in this specialised field of nursing.
This course is open to all nurses in Australia or overseas
- Principles of perioperative nursing
- Perioperative care of the unconscious patient
- Aspects of infection and its control applied to the operating suite
- Modalities of anaesthesia
- Pharmacology in anaesthetic and postanaesthesia patient care
- Principles of surgical intervention and wound management
- Issues of professional accountability in perioperative nursing
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Understand the principles and scope of perioperative nursing
- Understand the legal and ethical issues relevant to perioperative nursing
- Describe safety and quality issues presented in the perioperative environment
- Understand principles of asepsis and infection control in the perioperative environment, as they pertain to patients and staff
- Understand the function, structure and interdependence of the operating suite with other patient care areas.
- Understand the role of the perioperative nurse in the planning of care, to meet the patient's physical, emotional, spiritual and cultural needs.
- Acquire skills in the application of problem-solving techniques in the provision of comprehensive, individualised patient care perioperatively
On successful completion of course, students will receive a certificate of completion and 40 CPD hours
* Students are advised to reconfirm their CPD hours depending on country of registration.
Books, equipment and other materials are required to undertake the program and their cost is not included in the tuition fee.Fees Charges and Refunds Policy and Procedure