- Course Code : GDNP
- Award Titles : Graduate Diploma in Nursing Paediatric Nursing specialisation
- AQF Level : 8
- Accreditation : TEQSA
- Duration : 1 Year Full Time || 2 Years Part Time
- Course delivery : Online, On campus
- Campus : Sydney, Perth and Melbourne CBD
- Nested Course : Graduate Certificate in Nursing
The Graduate Diploma in Paediatric Nursing specialisation prepares general nurses with advanced knowledge and skills in the specialised field of paediatric nursing. This program will allow nurses to practice safely and competently in a variety of paediatric nursing settings. Paediatric nurses provide nursing care needs to infants, children and adolescents who progress rapidly through stages of physical, mental and social development.
The goal of this program is to provide paediatric nursing knowledge that prepares nurses to provide quality and safe nursing interventions. The program emphasises scholarship and critical thinking skills needed to practice in the paediatric nursing arena. Paediatric nursing presents unique challenges and issues. Paediatric nurses must respond and integrate new technologies and treatments into their practice to provide safe, effective, and high-quality nursing care. Paediatric nurses apply evidence-based nursing knowledge into their paediatric nursing practice.
The aims of the course are to:
- Develop nurses' knowledge of contemporary theories that inform paediatric nursing practice;
- Develop nurses' knowledge and skills in the principles of practice in paediatric nursing;
- Promote among nurses' the team nursing concept in meeting infants, children and adolescents' specific health care needs in the acute, chronic or rehabilitation phases of illness or injury;
- Increase and enhance nurses' awareness of the importance of the family unit and its involvement in care in paediatric nursing;
- Provide graduate nurses with advanced educational opportunities specific to the role of the paediatric nurse, thereby facilitating their professional growth and development;
- Increase nurses' accuracy and quality of advanced paediatric nursing clinical decisions;
- Develop nurses' skills to investigate, challenge and improve current practice in paediatric nursing;
- Provide the nurses with skills to adapt to the changing needs within the health care environment;
- Advance nurses' knowledge in leadership and management theories.
Through undertaking this course, students will:
- Enhance their ability to progress their career as an advanced paediatric nurse
- Gain the leadership and management skills required of the advanced paediatric nurse
- Develop and extend the nurses' critical thinking skills, knowledge of paediatric nursing practice, management and accountability across a range of healthcare settings.
- Achieve the professional attributes of a paediatric nurse, maintain professional standards and engage in lifelong learning
- Provide quality and safe care to paediatric patients and their families
- Think critically and make effective clinical decisions
- Practice nursing in a variety of paediatric settings
- Gain additional professional recognition
- Improve employability
- Progress to further study such as Master's and PhD programs
Benefits of online study :
Studying online allows students to:
- Continue to work while studying, relating course content to professional practice.
- Maintain a flexible schedule that fits with other life commitments and activities.
- Be part of an interactive online student community sharing online ideas thoughts and experiences with other classmates in different global locations.
- Receive quality support and interact with academics and professional support staff through the internet and telephone.
Students can enter postgraduate courses provided that they are registered nurses, either in Australia or another country, and are able to demonstrate that they have the ability to successfully complete the course they intend to enter. English language proficiency is key to demonstrating this and can be demonstrated either through the writing of a short essay or by supplying evidence of formal English language testing credentials.
- Be a Registered Nurse in Australia or country of origin.
- Work experience of one year required, preferably in the chosen area of nursing specialisation.
Applications will be accessed on a case by case basis by course coordinator in accordance with the Student Selection and Admission Policy and Procedures for Course delivered to Overseas Students. Candidates with lower scores encouraged to apply.
Units of Study
|Paediatric Nursing Knowledge 1||PCPN3981|
|Paediatric Nursing Knowledge 2||PCPN3982|
|Research in Nursing||PCPN3984|
|Evidence Based Practice in Nursing and Specialisations||PCPN3985|
|Clinical Leadership and Management in Nursing and Specialisations||PCPN3986|
|Professional Issues and Policies in Nursing and Specialisations||PCPN3987|
*To receive the award, students must complete all units in both phases of the course. Students who complete only phase 1 will receive a certificate of completion and an academic transcript of results
For On-campus students : AUD $20,000
**Students have the option to exit after one semester with Graduate Certificate in Nursing (Pediatrics)
Books, equipment and other materials are required to undertake the program and their cost is not included in the tuition fee.Fees Charges and Refunds Policy and Procedure
Course Start Dates
Face to face Delivery
|Campus : Sydney (Argyle St) | Perth (SGT) | Melbourne CBD|
DOWNLOAD COURSE BROCHURE
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.